The recruiting process is building a relationship with the college coaches and their program…communication is the key to success!
Where do I start?
1. Recruiting Profile – ‘sportsrecruits’
- Upload profile pic
- Complete volleyball/academic info
- VIDEO – key component & mandatory
- Ideally 3-5 minute highlight/2-3 minute unedited match film
2. Determine the level you can play at in college
- Be honest with yourself
- Talk to your coaches – ask them where they see you playing
- Determine your long term goals academically
- Don’t chase a Division or scholarship – focus on the right level of competition for your athletic abilities and chase the Opportunity
3. Send introductory emails
- Introduce yourself
- Include your interest in finding out their needs
- Give them some info about what you are currently doing both academically and in regards to your current volleyball team/training and/or high school experience
- Ask to talk to them
- USE ‘sportsrecruits’ to send messages to college coaches and follow up daily as to who has viewed your profile and ALWAYS send a message back thanking them for viewing your profile and ask to talk with them!
- ALWAYS ‘cc’ your club recruiting coordinator!
4. DO the research!
- Research the undergraduate programs – does the school offer majors in line with your long term career goals and is your intended major conducive to also being a collegiate athlete?
- Research the coaches’ bios – does the coaches’ experience and philosophy line up with your expectations?
- Check out the current roster – great way to find out what type of athletes they recruit!
- Research student life on campus – does the campus fit your criteria for a collegiate experience (size, culture, etc.)?
5. The Trifecta: ACADEMICS – LOCATION – LEVEL OF PROGRAM
Your ‘dream’ school is the one that fulfills all of the above…
- RIGHT academic offerings and fit
- RIGHT geographic location for you and your family
- RIGHT level of volleyball program that is in line with your athletic ability